Happy 25th Birthday to me!! 🎂
One of my good friends I call Mole-y (nickname originating from high school chemistry learning about moles) writes a list on Facebook every New Year’s Eve of what she’s learned the past year, and I LOVE that. So I wanted to do my own list of lessons, but lessons that I have learned in my 25 years of living.
I’m excited to be 25, in all honesty. I’m not upset about getting older. There was a decent amount of time where I didn’t think I’d make it to 20, so the fact that 1) I’m here and 2) I am officially in my “mid-20s” and old enough to rent a car is incredible. It’s definitely something I’m grateful for and proud of. And to celebrate this milestone, I wrote the following list.
25 Lessons I’ve Learned in my 25 Years
1. Drinking water is not a punishment
2. Never underestimate the power of a good night’s sleep
3. When presented with the opportunity, never skip dessert if you want it.
4. Mental health is JUST. AS. IMPORTANT. as physical health. Never let anyone tell you differently.
5. Other people’s opinions (in the form of advice, suggestions, their everyday conversation, whatever) is not your business. It’s only a reflection of themselves and their perceptions. Listen to what resonates and leave the rest.
6. Books are the best friends you’ll ever have
7. Bandwagons are for suckers. Get to know your true self and hold on tight to what YOU actually like.
8. You will never please everyone, so you may as well just be respectful to everyone while you work to please yourself.
9. Love is real, and it’s important to be your best for your partner, but you need to be the most important person in your life.
10. Life’s too short to not have chocolate, but life’s also too short to not take care of yourself. Everything in moderation.
11. When it comes to someone’s way of life, there is no “wrong”. We are all byproducts of our parents procreation, no one asked to be here and no one has the answers. There is just “different”, but all human beings deserve respect.
12. PLEASE remember that the actual saying is “the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb”, which actually means that you can’t choose who you’re related to but you can choose who you have around you. Those relationships matter the most.
13. Happiness is the most important thing in life. If something or someone does not make you happy, don’t leave the room for it in your life. You only get a handful of years on this earth living this life, so don’t waste them living your life for someone else’s benefit.
14. Pushing yourself past your comfort zone is important, but you need to be kind to yourself in the process.
15. Always choose to travel when you can.
16. Pride should never be in the driver’s seat of life.
17. Keep playing, well into your adult life. Never lose sight of the child in your heart, it’ll make life so much sweeter.
18. We all have things we need to work through and let go of, and there is absolutely no shame in utilizing therapy as a resource
19. Unlearning is just as important as learning.
20. Sometimes you need to give yourself closure.
21. Listen past a person’s anger and most likely you’ll hear fear.
22. No one cares about what you look like as much as you do, so wear what you want. If anyone has anything unpleasant to say about your body, remember that your confidence might be perceived by them as a threat… and that you look amazing.
23. Quality over quantity with everything. Seriously, with everything.
24. People treat you the way you allow them to. If you’re unhappy with the standards that you set that they’re now adhering to – rework your standards to match your worth.
25. No one human being on this planet is more important or valuable than anyone else. Regardless of race, ethnicity, religious/spiritual beliefs, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical ability, neurotypicality/neurodivergence- we are all human beings just trying our best to live out our soul’s mission in this life.
Extra for good luck 🕯: Treat everyone with kindness, including yourself. Learn the Love Languages of people in your life. Treat yourself with the same love and regard you treat your best friend. Befriend at least one spiritual person. Read The Four Agreements. Move your body in a way that also brings you happiness. Cultivate a morning routine so you give yourself time before you give your energy to anyone else. Nourish your body with good food. Healthy mind, healthy body; and vice versa. Spend as much time outside as possible. And most of all- Choose happy ✌🏻😁